Thursday 1 January 2015

Looking back on 2014

Introduction

Welcome back and seasons greetings. Here we have a look back at 2014. It was a great year and probably the first that I targeted specimen fish almost exclusively. The matches fell by the wayside and in came some relatively new skills- Pike fishing and the continuation of my education in the world of lure fishing. I've said it before but fishing is a sport that has so many facets it seems churlish not to try them all out. We are not on anything as pretentious as a 'journey' here, it's just fishing. Being outdoors, keeping things simple but most of all enjoying it. As ever the fish are the stars and with the exception of my trip to Rutland they were all caught in my home county of Lincolnshire. Here are some of the highs and lows of my year........

January

A few Perch to 3lb 6oz and some decent Hybrids from the secret River and when that was out of sorts I ventured onto a local lake chasing a 4lb stripey with no success whatsoever. I also took one of my favourite shots (taken on my phone of all things) at the end of a long day which shows my friend Ken walking upstream as the sun went down on the secret river.......




February



I had a truly remarkable day in February. First of all I caught my first 5lb Chub and then ventured onto another river for Hybrids to 4lb 9oz and rounded of the day with a 3lb 12oz Perch. Again when the rivers were unfishable I dropped onto a nearby stillwater and had an unseasonal Tench of 4lb 6oz........





March

Without wanting to sound like a football commentator it really was a month of two halves. The end of the river season saw me bank some magnificent Chub topped by fish of 5lb 10oz and 5lb 14oz. In the second half of the month the forgotten lakes gave up some of it's impressive Crucian hybrids of 4lb 9oz and 4lb 11oz......






April


Just one picture this month and highlights the usual results when chasing specimen fish. I became rather obsessed with catching a 4lb Perch and concentrated on a venue that nearly broke my spirit. As you can see it didn't happen and no I didn't think of using it as bait......



May

With the weather improving and wanting to have some fun I had a go for a few Carp. it was very much back to basics with simple freelined dog biscuits. The competitor in me took great pleasure in turning up at the Lake, slotting in between the serious Carp boys and showing them how to catch fish with the minimal amount of tackle. Bless their little cotton bivvy slippers.........




June

A magical month for any river angler and yet again the secret river gave up some of its gems. I broke my Bream PB on numerous occasions culminating in a fine fish of 7lb 14oz. A decent Bream from any river and the surroundings were superb......




July

More Bream this month and the PB kept creeping up. Fishing a different river I had an amazing session where I saw every fish take my bait in the shallow, gin-clear water. The double hump fish in the first photograph was the biggest at just under 9lb........




August

Rivers full of weed and a photo-shy giant Chub put a dampener on proceedings. The company of Mrs P lifted my spirits along with a few lure-caught Perch and some impressive Pike........




September

I continued to flog a dead horse with the rivers before giving up and it was back to the Carp lake to boost the confidence and I also snatched another great lure-caught Pike from a local drain.........





October

It's only by doing something like this you realise what were the most productive months and October was certainly one of the best. My first ever Zander from a great trip to Rutland water, a near 5lb Chub and my best Perch catch to date- sixteen fish to 3lb 8oz including two more 3's and seven 2 pounders. The Perch made the Angling Times and I was very proud to get 'Picture of the week'..........








November

Some decent Pike from my local drains. A week with seven 2lb Perch of which I barely took any notice (you don't have to give me a slap, I did it myself) from a new river. This including my first fish over that weight on a lure. I rounded off the month with some nice river Roach........





December
My December blog isn't 'live' yet (seriously, who says that?). What I mean is I haven't written it yet...........have some preview piccy's to whet your appetite......




Thanks

I really would like to thank all of you for taking the time to read my diary. To all those who have corresponded via e-mail I salute you. My 'real life' friends Jim, Ken, Neil, Gaz and Benidorm Dave have all been a great help and source of inspiration. My online friends who are too numerous to mention ad infinitum but include Rob, Baz, Stuart, Neil, Dan, Leo, Andy, Dave, Pete and Phil, I also lavish with praise. I'd also like to give my friends at Spilsby Angling Centre a high-five too. Thanks all.

The star prize of a massive hug and myriad of superlatives is reserved for Mrs P. Behind every man who is able to dedicate so much time to a hobby is an amazing woman. This isn't just some smooth talk to get me out of all the DIY she has planned for me in 2015, oh no. She really is great. Thanks Mrs P.

Till next time.........




3 comments:

  1. A great year's dangling mate, top work.

    I knew you'd get the hang of it one day.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great fishing and some equally good photos, top job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their TRX Australia are polished and top of array.
    One can buy authentic trx workouts and accessories from reputed stores that offer a complete range of this brand.
    You can also buy this trx australia line from online stores which makes your shopping more easy from the comfort of your home.
    So make sure you dress up this season with fashion that's filled with the hottest and latest Trx Workouts in the market.
    trx workouts is a prime American design house that specializes in a big clothesline.
    They've already created these trx Australia with the youthful, fashionable, and hip in head.
    The range is actually excellent and provides an extended type of fancy and serious TRX workouts that could be donned to any occasion for that polished everyday look.
    They have the latest in TRX Australia collection and people will discover excellent cheap deals on the products.

    ReplyDelete