Thursday 29 January 2015

January 2015

Introduction

It's our anniversary. Three years we have been going now and for those of that have just joined us you may be wondering what it is all about? Based in Lincolnshire I've progressed from a pleasure angler and part-time matchman into a kind of specimen hunter. Now I don't presume for one minute you are interested in my circumstances but I do try and show you some fantastic fish and you are in for a real treat this month. Someone asked a question the other day and as quite a few of you reading are non-anglers I think it would be nice to try and explain. The question was simply- 'Why do you go fishing?'. I answered quite curtly- To bring life out of something that is lifeless.

A non-angler may see a river or Lake and give it no more than an admiring glance. Many of us, on the other hand, see beyond the landscape and our imagination goes into overdrive, We can picture big Pike lurking in the reeds; beautiful Rudd just under the surface, iridescent Green Tench grubbing about in the margins; huge, golden-flanked Carp cruising in the middle; giant Roach with blood-red fins and silver flanks hanging mid depth; massive, stripey-sided Perch laying in wait for an easy meal.  The possibilities are endless. A parallel universe that is tangible but hidden from view. Our imagination concerning any piece of water is almost childlike and the mystique never diminishes. Got it? Right, here we go.......

The investigation continues.....

Just how big are these Roach that inhabit my local drain I wondered as I liquidised a loaf in the garage. With my bait prepared and my imagination fired I headed down to the drain and set up a couple of small feeder rigs. The liquidised bread would pack into the feeder and I would fish a small piece of flake on a size 12 hook. The drain isn't very deep and I used cage feeders so the bread would virtually explode from them on impact with the water. It didn't take long to attract some interest. Unfortunately it was a small Rudd, nice but not what I was after. To cut a long story short it turned out to be quite a session. I had half a dozen Rudd before the Roach moved in. The biggest? A fine example of 1lb 2oz........



Pastures new......

While Piking last month Gary and I discussed possible new venues for big Perch. One place in particular stood out. We had nothing concrete but the venue seemed to tick all the boxes regards Perch being the only predators, plenty of bait fish, them being seldom fished for etc etc. As sods law dictates on the only day we could go together half the lake was frozen over. Ever the optimists we were still enthusiastic and Gary very kindly let me pick the spot I fancied and he'd slot in somewhere else. As it turned out I fished three pegs throughout the day. Typically all the really Perchy looking spots were protected by a thick layer of ice. So how did we do? I had two tiny perch and then hooked something that pulled back a bit on my light bomb rod. Could it be a Perch I hoped? Er.....no..........




Gary had a little more success with his sit and wait approach and was rewarded with this fine looking youngster as the light faded........



A few days later and with the temperature rising I headed back to the lake to try out all those spots I couldn't get to before. Once again it was tough going. I fished worm on the float next to a really thick bed of reeds. Feeding chopped worm with a pole pot over the top I was convinced I was doing it right. Three hours later and just a couple of Roach to show for my efforts I needed a re-think. I wound in my float and set off around the lake with my lure rod. Again the spots next to the reeds were proving lifeless. In desperation I cast into open water. Even before I had chance to start my retrieve my little lure rod took a healthy bend. Yes. I was in. Elation is the only word to describe my feelings as the flank of an angry Perch shone back at me from the depths of the margins. I quickly returned to base and placed it in the net and set off after another. It didn't take me long as I had seemingly found the hot-spot. I had four in total, nothing massive (biggest 2lb 2oz) but very worthy fish and they brightened my day up no end.......


A familiar feeling...........

Fishing with Gary was an eye-opener. He is a Carp angler for most of the year and has incredible patience. I am on the other end of the scale. I always try and make something happen if things are quiet, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The following has to my best tale of itchy feet....

I was back at the Lake a few days later. I planned to fish worm in the hot-spot while feeding red maggots over the top. I was sure it would work. Nobody told the fish though and after a few rogue Roach I pulled this fine looking fella in.......


After the Carp I gave it a rest and went for a wander while the lure rod. I didn't have a touch so I went back to the tip rods. Another couple of worm stealing Roach came to hand before I'd had enough. Even the local maggot-robbing Robin (try saying that quickly) couldn't keep me entertained. Besides that I was cold, however there was still time in the day to try somewhere else. Having taken most of my gear with me it was an arduous task getting everything back to the car. It took a good deal of effort not to go straight home once in the warm confines of my vehicle. I didn't though and the question is- did the move pay off? Well on my very first cast on my second choice venue I hooked into a real lump. I had placed a Lure into an area I knew held Perch at certain times. Luckily for me one was one at home and it was a really big fish too.....


At 3lb 10oz it was the third biggest Perch I had ever caught and not a fish I recognise. It was also the biggest Perch I had ever caught on a lure. I've always said the Perch in the river don't respond to rubber but that has now been disproved. My experiences on the lake had given me the confidence to give them a real go. It wasn't the Perch that didn't like them it was my lack of confidence holding me back. Anyway I had a few more casts and lost another big fish but it didn't matter, I had proved myself right by moving venues, a nice feeling. Quite how many times it hasn't paid off I can't begin to tell you.

The next day I was back with a worm and maggot approach. I took eight Perch and the highlight was a fish of 3lb 3oz. You may notice it has a remarkably similar stripe pattern to the 3lb 10oz fish. Sometimes they are so close you can't tell them apart. I only noticed when doing this blog and could it be possible that it had dropped 7oz overnight? Of course it couldn't, Luckily I had taken a few shots of each fish and they are 100% different. Just shows you, stripes aren't always sufficiently different to tell fish apart. Anyway here she is...........


On a roll.......

With the weather still very chilly and changeable I needed to target a fish that isn't much bothered by such things. The Chub sprang to mind and with that I headed over to the Bream river. Now the club book stretch I fish has seen a real surge in anglers this year, great for the club, terrible for me. Even the normally suicidal Chub wont stand a lot of pressure and they have become very cagey of late. I had a few moves before I eventually hooked one and the bite was ridiculously delicate. After a rather dull battle I landed a fish of 5lb 3oz with only half a tail........


On the very next cast I cracked off on a fish and with bites at such a premium I was livid. That was the end of the road for the water knot for me. Links from now on would be tied with a sliding knot. It takes a little more time but is much more reliable.

On my next visit to the river I deliberately avoided the club stretch and headed to a much neglected length. It is a lot deeper than my normal haunt and I've always felt it would throw up a surprise. Besides that there is something about not following the crowd that appeals to me. After a good walk I was at the top of the section. I kept really low and crawled into position. It may be deep but these fish don't see many people and they can travel a long way if spooked. The peg I fished first has a few snags and my first cast resulted in a lost rig even with a weak link tied in expectation. I quickly tied another up and cast beyond the snags. About a minute later the rod was nearly wrenched from the rest, proper wild fish these. After a very spirited battle I slipped the net under this fine Chub of 5lb 1oz..........


Despite trying several other areas that was the only fish of the afternoon to fall to my bread tactics. I did have a couple of small Pike on lures but as ever when I fish that area I left feeling the river had kept most of it's inhabitants a secret for a while longer.

Another day and a few biteless hours on the club stretch saw me heading to another different part of the river and one that had been both kind and cruel to me in the past. It can be very difficult and the fishing rights aren't clear so it was somewhat of a gamble to go there. The weather was truly terrible that day and its effects magnified by me forgetting my coat. I was glad to sit in the car for a while to warm up and dry out after a mini-blizzard. Any thoughts of the cold were soon dispelled as I caught sight of the new piece of river and I rushed upstream to a likely looking spot. Once again and in total contrast to the club length the first bite I had nearly ripped the rod off the rest. The culprit? An absolutely mint fish of 4lb 14oz........


The best was yet to come though as half an hour later I had another savage bite. In the narrow swim it was a real tussle as the fish tried to weed itself on a number of occasions. Luckily I manged to maintain the upper hand and was absolutely delighted to net this beast that weighed 5lb 11oz......


Forget what you see in the angling weeklies. I don't travel far for my fish and considering the area I live to catch two 3lb Perch and three 5lb Chub in a month is really special. When I published my 2014 round-up a few people said 'Hope you have an even better 2015'. I was sceptical, although the sentiment was nice I was proud of my captures last year. Besides that I didn't think it could possibly get better but do you know what? I think it just might.

Tackle Talk

The Shakespeare GX2 6ft 6in lure rod has been with me for a few months now and I got into a minor internet scuffle about it recently. Some chap was looking for a cheap lure rod so I mentioned the GX2. Another chap then commented that they were 'rubbish'. Let me try and be a little more objective. Despite being mostly glass-fibre the rod is light and very slim. I throw it about all over the place, It rattles about in my car boot for much of the week. I even got the tip wedged in the car seat folding mechanism and it didnt break. In use it is far from the most sophisticated rod on the market but it is perfectly usable. The reel seat is secure and comfortable and it has that most bizarre clear tip. I like it. Remember the cost? £24.99.........


The Baitrunners have gone, only to be replaced with............some older baitrunners. These came to me via my friend and all round good egg Andy. I haven't used them yet but I'll put them to use soon. I used to have a pair and it is nice, once again, to own some timeless classics.....


Contact

If you have any questions or just want to say hello you can contact me via email

the.power@tesco.net


As ever I'll leave you with some photo's. Thanks for reading.










No comments:

Post a Comment