Friday 1 March 2013

February 2013 part 2

Tuesday 19th February
 
Woodlands Lakes, Spilsby.
 
Just a quick afternoon session after the Perch on Hawthorn. Fished peg 15 for a change and had a one dead on two pounds within an hour. I struggled after that first fish. Some other chap was bagging up on Roach and Skimmers though. Young Jack came down down for a natter towards dusk. I thought as the light faded I might have snared another. We both watched for bites expectantly but it wasn't to be. Eric (the owner) was as welcoming as ever and I'll be going back for one more try for a 'three' before the Carp start waking up mid-march time.
 
 
 
 
 
Thursday 21st February

River Bain.

I decided to try a new stretch of the river closer to Conningsby for a couple of hours. A had worms for the Perch and some bread and cheese as back-ups. I tried a few likely looking spots on the worm to no avail. Nothing doing on bread either. A switch to cheese produced a fish within five minutes. A nice Chub just under four pounds. That , once again, was the only bite of the day.


Tuesday 26th February

Withern Mill, Withern.

I've written loads about my Perch and Chub exploits hence the brevity of the last two entries. Not wanting either you or I to get bored I decided to go Trout fishing. A quick dig about in the shed revealed my- untouched for three years- fly fishing gear. Back when we used to have a proper close season I used to do a bit of fly fishing. There is no mystery to it. I could teach you in half an hour. A bought a few new flies from the tackle shop in town. It has recently been taken over and the stock levels are immense. They have all sorts in there now. Well worth a look if you are passing.

Withern Mill has been taken over recently too. I perused their website www.withernmilltroutfarm.co.uk and was eager to get down there. Five lakes sit beside the Great Eau and you can fish either the lakes or half a mile of the river. Trout fishing has always been thought of as a bit elitist and I have to say I was a bit unsure how I would be received. A rugby match a few days prior had left me looking a bit rough. Anyway I needn't have worried. The owners gave me a very warm welcome. I bought a two fish ticket (£20) and made my way to the lower car park.

I decided to fish the lakes first for Trout and then have a go for the Grayling in the river. I took me a while to get my casting right, not helped by my aged fly line. A couple of follows kept my spirits up as I plugged away. After an hour or so I found a few fish in lake three. I lost two before finally banking a couple. Both fantastic fish, full finned and tremendous fighters. Shame I knocked them on the head. 'Didn't you feel bad?' Mrs P asked later. I had to think about that one. I never normally kill my catch but these fish aren't wild, they're farmed. Besides I'd be eating them and it's a reality of life as a meat eater. If I'm honest I did a bit but then again I am bloody soft!

With my two fish limit reached I could have carried on and released any others but I was keen to try the river. I stopped off at the riverside hut. Tea and Coffee are provided and I must say it was rather nice touch despite the worlds slowest boiling kettle. I peered into the river wondering how many big Roach I had walked past during the afternoon. Refreshed, I headed down to the mill pool to try my luck. As you know the river hasn't been kind to me this season and today was to be no different. I think the Grayling must move around a lot. What I really wanted was a pint of maggots! It was a cracking day though and one I can thoroughly recommend. Maybe one day I'll strike a deal to coarse fish the river there.


 

Afterword

I did sneak a couple of other short sessions in. The first was to Partney after Pike. No luck there. The second was yesterday. I went down the the Great Eau a short distance below the Trout Farm. I can't tell you exactly where because as always I'm not entirely sure I should have been there. Anyway I picked a lovely looking glide and trotted maggots for a good two hours with not a single bite. I've lost count of the blanks now but mark my words it is not going to beat me. I will catch something from the Secret River by the end of the season. It's bloody war!

Till next time..............

No comments:

Post a Comment