Wednesday 4 April 2012

Lake Hunting

Wednesday 4th April

"When it gets a bit warmer I'll take you down to the switchback, some big roach in there" said Ernie. A quick look on google earth revealed a couple of lakes no more than a mile from my house. Now I have lived here for ten years and I can't believe I hadn't noticed these lakes before. I've been on google earth countless times on the look out for secret lakes.

A long dusty lane runs behind my house. Behind the duck farm there are two lakes that I have only ever seen on the computer. A little further down the lane residing in a dip lies a long thin lake that I have investigated but it is very overgrown. Looks nice though and I have always fancied having a go to see what's in there. "Just stop there a minute love" a tweed clad man said to Mrs P as she walked the dogs near the lake just recently. She could see some men with guns around the lake. "Why? Are they all a really bad shot?" she replied. A valuable lesson this. You can't tell Mrs P what to do even when there is a threat of serious injury or death! "Hardly very sporting is it?" was Mrs P's next contribution to the conversation. Anyway she came back with the information that the lake was used exclusively for shooting ducks, no fishing.

As one door closes another usually opens and yesterday I fired off a quick text to Ernie- 'When you taking me to the switchback'. He rang back "We'll go Thurs but the switchback is going to out of the question with this rain. Its at the bottom of a steep muddy track and we'll never get back up the hill". We rearranged the venue and I was thinking I was never going to see this bloody place.

Fast forward to this morning and a trip into Skegness for some shopping and I was soon in the tackle shop. A chat with the ever friendly Neil and it was clear 'the switchback lakes' weren't just a myth. "There are two, one with an Island and one irrigation lake behind it that is meant to be pretty good too". Neil described. Appetite whetted I left the shop with "Some big perch as well" ringing in my ears. I got home and unloaded the shopping and bundled the chaos twins into the van. "Where are you going, it's tipping it down?" Mrs P enquired. "Just off to find a lake" I replied. Did I find it?


Not the most inviting place to start a journey



That's better



Ok, ok.......


A tinge of colour on a dull day



A distant house with its own lake



The girls point me in right direction



A red herring



We'll follow this



What's that blue circle? Irrigation pipe= Lake



Finally found them. The upper lake


They both looked fantastic and I'll be giving them a go very soon and you'll be the first to know how I get on. In the meantime its off to Twin Lakes with Ernie and his grandson in the morning. Till next time, Phil.


No comments:

Post a Comment